Sunday, September 29, 2013

End of a Four Day Weekend

76 degrees with sprinkles.  Another beautiful day with several bugs but they were not biting much.

Today I ended my four consecutive days off from work (my day job) and I have made much progress toward insulating and hanging drywall on the inside.  Several years ago I hired a drywall contractor to do my den in the main house after I demoed all of the panelling and framed a new wall around the fireplace to give room above for a flat panel television.  I did the insulation during the den project and the contractor hung the drywall and taped and mudded the entire room in just one day.  He came back a couple days later to finish the sanding and the final coat of mud and it looks great.

Here is a look at the upstairs before the work began.

I vacuumed the upstairs before starting. 
The rafters are going to be left exposed.
I'm going to give this a try on the playhouse and do all of the taping and mudding myself, which I may regret later because I know that the pros make an art of it.  I have been reading articles and watching YouTube videos on the subject and will hope for the best.

Over the last couple days I completed the downstairs and have started to work on the upstairs.  I installed the insulation into the bays on the short long walls and was able to build up temporary scaffolding over the opening above the door as I work on that end wall.  The most difficult part of the project is now done, which was to insulate and cut the drywall pieces that go under the ridge beam at either end of the second floor.  They are triangular in shape and I wasted one entire sheet of drywall when I cut the angle incorrectly on my first attempt.  The next two cuts worked well and I now have the top ends done on both walls.

The insulation is installed along the low walls. 
The triangular drywall piece installed above the window in the upstairs room. 
I had to build this scaffolding to give me a place to stand and use a ladder next to the tall wall.  This is above the entrance. 
The second difficult triangle is now installed.  The rest should be easier.
That is about it for now.  I'm signed up to drive four kids in the neighborhood to school in the morning and plan to work several days until I can find time to work on the playhouse.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment