Sunday, November 20, 2011

Bark, Bark, the Roof is Done!

73 degrees - I saw two bees flying around today and two deer run across the yard after dark.

At 9:00 AM the father-in-law of one of my colleagues at work stopped by to look at the Pointed Playhouse and give me an understanding of what will be needed to wire a new sub-panel from the main panel in the house.  He is an electrician and should be able to give me an estimate of the total cost and possibly help with the permit that will be required.

Once I got the extension cord run across the yard again and Pandora playing Gershwin through my one speaker I got back into the harness and worked on the ridge cap for the small dormer roof.  This little roof was fairly difficult to do because it terminates into the other roof surface and I had to make up for a slight difference in the height of the tiles that came up on either side of the dormer.  I actually had to remove some of the tiles that I already nailed down on the right side to get my edge lines strait and because I did not want to have to get back up there again after someone noticed an uneven roof months from now. 

It took just about all day to finish the small dormer ridge cap and then the main roof ridge cap.  As I was close to the center of the main ridge I had to remove the harness mount that tied me to the roof for safety.  The last five small ridge tiles went in without a rope attached to me, which felt really strange and made me feel uneasy.


Up on the roof without a safety harness - I survived.
Once the roof was done I unscrewed the walking boards and the red braces and then painted the primer coat on the three sides of the dormer.




I'm sure glad that I survived the "roof experience!"  I'll install the three windows if I get time this week but we are expecting some rain.

1 comment: