Saturday, November 5, 2011

Ready to Change Gears

Currently 49 degrees - lots of French Rats running around below me as I was up on the roof today (French Rats = squirrels).  They must be preparing for the approaching winter.

After working a couple half days on the playhouse during the week I found that I was completely out of 3/4" exterior grade plywood except for several oddly shaped pieces that I did not want to use as sheathing on the roof.  A mosaic pattern of smaller pieces would simply not work as it would not be as strong and may look bad from inside if I decide to stain the beams and sheathing.  After getting some coffee in me early this morning I scratched a note on the back of a scrap of paper in the kitchen - 2 plywood, 5 2x10 by 10 boards, 1x8 syp, Liquid Nails, wood for penguin (more about that later), and then ran off to the home center.  After picking out what I needed I went to the rental counter and checked out the $19/hr truck, which is easily justified as I do not want to own a truck.

The dormer was very difficult to sheath and it is going to be even more difficult to put the paper and roofing tiles on the right side as there is almost no place for the ladder to rest.
About two hours later and back at the playhouse I measured and cut about ten inches off of one of the sheets and tied it into the straps under the hoist and went upstairs and applied Liquid Nails (glue) to the joists and edges of the other pieces of plywood sheathing where this last, large piece will go.  I looked across the front yard and saw Elizabeth planting flowers in the beds and asked her if she would not mind helping for a few minutes.  I hoisted the wood up and asked her to pull the rope to the outside as I pulled the straps that were around the plywood toward me and into place as I stand on a ladder on the inside of the second floor.  She made a nice comment about how amazed she was that my "contraption" works.  She then asked how long I have been thinking about the project.  I don't know...a while.

Soon enough I had the last three fifteen inch wide pieces of sheathing cut at a 28 degree angle on the upper edge nailed and glued to the top of the front side.  That completes the sheathing for the Pointed Playhouse.

We will need to get a light in here soon.
Tied into the safety rig by the large "D" ring at the top of the roof.

Last small piece of the far end went in just after this shot.
I could get back up on the roof tomorrow and start with the tar paper and then roofing tiles but I think I will change gears and get some of the exterior walls and windows done instead along with the opening to the loft area.  The small house should be somewhat weather tight and I can afford to wait about a week to start the last roofing tasks.  It has been very difficult for me up on the roof during the past week and I'm ready for something different and less demanding.

And I have been asked to help Devon with a project where she wants to build a full size penguin for a school project.  Maybe paint a detailed picture of a penguin on one side and a landscape of penguins marching across the snow on the other.  She took this video today and I'm going to keep it in case she wants to one day get into film school (I don't want her in film school).


Spotify has been great today - listened to Jazz all day while outside and now I'm listening to "A Tribute to Led Zeppelin - The Battle of Evermore", which I find goes well with the wine next to my mouse.



No comments:

Post a Comment