Sunday, October 30, 2011

And Up Goes the Roof - Scary

56 degrees with a few bats - I don't  believe they bite like the Hampton Roads summer mosquitoes.

We had a big storm roll through here on Friday night and I took Saturday as a rain day as well.  I had the tarp down inside the second story and it did collect water.  I siphoned most of the water out of the tarp but then had to try to pour the remaining water out the window.  I bunched up the tarp at the far end and tried unsuccessfully to lift the ball of water out the window but it turned out that I cannot squat two hundred pounds after all (8.5 pounds per gallon times 25 gallons).  Some of it poured out on the floor but most of it eventually went out the window to the ground below.  As a side note, I spent about 30 minutes sweeping the water around the floor to ensure that it did not pool in one area.

After lunch my very good friend "Bobcat" helped with the sheathing on the roof.  I started by measuring and cutting the narrow eleven and a half inch wide plywood to cover the ends of the rafters that splay outward at the bottom edge of the roof.  I used a T-bevel to get the angle of the edge that will eventually meet the full sheets of sheathing above.  I had to move the hoist over to the far side of the roof and then Bobcat and I cut and hauled the bushed (really trees) to the curb.

Bushes cut way back.
Maybe a place for the kayak rack?
After tying full sheets of plywood onto the straps of the hoist we pulled the sheathing into place.  I used Liquid Nails before setting the adjoining edges into place.  It was nice to see the edge of the plywood and the rafter align nicely.  It was very difficult to get the foundation and the first floor to be entirely square and level but it is all paying off now.

Much of the far side has received sheathing.
Hey - see the sheathing through the upper window?
I had to cut the sheathing around the large pine tree, which almost makes this a tree house.


Okay - the lines have been snapped and the first course of sheathing is up with a little more installed on the far side - now time for a little fun.  With help from visiting family I hauled pieces of a haunted castle that I built last year for the kids down from the attic.  It took us two days to put this together because we had very high winds on Saturday as the storm departed the area.  It is Halloween and I can't wait to scare the little kids.

Scary - hope the wind does not blow it down.

Well, now for the city to do its part - my gardener has big bags of leaves on the curb and we added a few branches from behind the Pointed Playhouse.

More later when I get the time.

1 comment:

  1. David- your house looks AWESOME!!!! The doors are beautiful. Did you get them overseas? We are enjoying tracking your progress. What do you mean you can't squat 200 pounds anymore-come on- you not THAT old!!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete