Saturday, September 24, 2011

Vapor Barrier and Floor Installed

72 degrees with rain and the mosquitoes are back.  About 1.25 mosquitoes per cubic yard.

I anticipated a break in the weather and got to work on the project at around eight in the morning.  I started by removing the sill plates and laying down the vapor barrier and sill plate gasket (pink).  Then I reinstalled the sill plates and secured them tightly with the bolts.


Sill plate gasket goes over the vapor barrier.
I measured the diagonal dimensions again to ensure that the sill was square (193 1/2" across) and then cut and nailed down the rim joists to the sill plate.  In addition to the rim joists there are another 10 joists added every sixteen inches on center to give the floor support.  These are eight inch cypress boards so it should be very strong and I started the first one from the edge of the rim joists at 15 1/4 inches to allow the joists to align between the edges of the plywood when installed.  If I did not do this then the plywood would overhand the joists at the seam, which would not provide adequate support.  I also used a sub floor glue to prevent floor squeaks and the girls helped by cleaning up the excess that squeezed out along the edges.

Sketchup drawing of the first floor joists.
Rim joists nailed down and square.
Ten additional joists at sixteen inches on center adds strength.
Spreading the sub floor glue.
Helpers come in all sizes.

Nailing every six inches.
 

Well, that is about all for today.  The rain started to really come down at around noon and so we spread a tarp over the new floor and brought all of the tools back into the garage.  I'm looking forward to the day when the first floor will be up and I can keep all of the tools close by.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you're doing some high quality work. Let me know if you ever need a hand.

    ReplyDelete